Community of People Working on the Quality of Childhood in Europe
TheAlliance for Childhood European Network Group (AFC-ENG) held its first meeting in Brussels in 2006. The founding members were Christopher Clouder and Michiel Matthes. The AFC-ENG is part of a global network of the Alliance for Childhood (see: the Alliance for Childhood in the USA, the Alliance for Childhood in Brazil and in the UK ). AFC-ENG furthermore cooperates closely with the Universal Education Foundation / Learning for Well-being community.
The Aims of AFC-ENG:
We advocate for the good quality of childhood in the member states of the European Union and beyond.
The types of activity:
- To maintain an international community of members (organisations and individuals) who have decided to work on the aims of the AFC-ENG, organise conferences with collaborators and participate in meetings organised by stakeholders with related aims.
- To help the Members of the European Parliament to develop an agenda with expert-talks for the Working Group on the Quality of Childhood (QoC) at the European Parliament.
- To publish books on expert talks (See Publications).
- To organise conferences.
- The work has contributed to making the quality of childhood and the well-being of children more important on the political agenda, and encouraged members to work on the aims of the AFC-ENG in their respective geographical areas.
- More than 48 QoC sessions have been organised at the European Parliament since 2006.
- Four books have been published in 2010-2013.
Michiel Matthes, Secretary-General of the Alliance for Childhood European Network Group